Locomotive no. 45407 was
built by the Armstrong Whitworth Company Spotswood, Newcastle in 1937 for the L.M.S Railway, its work number
being 1462. It was 1 of 226 engines, which was the largest order ever placed with a private builder by a British Railway Company
the order being worth 2.7 million Pounds.
When new the engine was
delivered to Kettering where it worked for a considerable time on the Midland mainline. In late 1960’s the engine was moved between various sheds ending
up at Lockstock Hall in 1968.
The engine was purchased
from B.R. by David Davis for £3300 and was subsequently moved to Carnforth for
restoration. In 1974 it was bought by Paddy Smith who operated the engine on the B.R. system, notably the Settle & Carlise,
Cumbrian Coast and Crewe
to Holyhead routes. The engine best known for its exploits in Scotland
on the FortWilliam to Malliag route, were it spent three seasons in the late 1980’s. After the last season in Scotland,
45407 was moved to Carnforth for new tyres and onto the E.L.R. for running on Heritage Railways for the last three years of
its boiler ticket. In 1997 Ian Riley bought the engine from Mr Smith and had the engine overhauled at his works in Bury. Works
included a new tender tank with greater water capacity, the fitting of air brake equipment to enable the engine to haul modern
coaching stock and the fitting of A.W.S. to comply with Railtrack’s modern Safety and signaling requirements.
Coal - 9 tons
Water - 4710
– 18.1/2” x 26”
– 25455 lb
– 225 lb